Immigrating To Australia: The Difference Between An 820 And A 309 Visa

The Partner Visa subclass 820 and 309 allow the spouse or partner of an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, to live in Australia. The 820 visa is for onshore applicants and the 309 visa is for offshore applicants.

If you are in a married or de facto relationship with an Australian citizen and want to live in Australia, then you will be sponsored by your spouse or de facto partner during this two-stage visa process. Both heterosexual and same-sex couples can apply and it is the ideal pathway to getting permanent residency.

You need to be in Australia to apply for the 820 visa. If you are in another country, you will need to apply for the 309 visa, which has similar requirements. The 820 and 309 visas are provisional visas, and after two years, applicants will be reassessed for the Permanent 810 or 100 visas, depending on the visa that you initially applied for.

The Difference Between A Marital And De Facto Relationship

Your marriage must be considered legal under Australian law. If your marriage is valid in the country where you got married, then it will generally be considered legal in Australia. If you are in a de facto relationship, you will have to demonstrate that your relationship has existed for at least a year before you applied for a visa. This is also the subclass that same-sex couples can use to apply for a visa.

Besides being able to demonstrate that your relationship has existed for at least 12 months, you and your partner must be living together. If you are not living together, you must show that the separation is only temporary. You will also have to comply with specific health and character requirements.

Interested in immigrating to Australia? Then contact Tri-Nations Migration today.