Things to Consider Before Choosing to Study Abroad in Australia

If you would like to study abroad, particularly in Australia, you will definitely be making a sound investment in your future. Australia is fast becoming a popular international study destination as a result of its:

  • Low crime levels,
  • Welcoming locals,
  • A multi-cultural community, and, of course,
  • The fantastic study programs on offer.

Australia is considered to be one of the top 3 international countries for foreign students to study in, with the USA and the UK being the other two top options!

Relocating to a new country comes with its own challenges and considerations. In fact, here are just three things that you should consider before you opt to study abroad in Australia:

  1. Students must have a good command of the English language. Prospective students must complete an English language proficiency test before they are allowed to enrol in any courses.
  2. Health care is of great concern to the Department of Immigration in Australia. In order to obtain a student visa, you will be expected to maintain Overseas Student Health Cover for the entire time that you are in Australia. This can be purchased by your education provider. Alternatively, you have a choice of 5 providers where you can personally purchase the cover from. These include:
  • Australian Health Management,
  • BUPA Australia,
  • Medibank Private,
  • Allianz Global Assistance, or
  1. Housing is something that should be a top priority for you. If you plan to study in Australia, you can choose to rent a private property. But there are alternative options if this is not affordable to you. Some of the housing options available to you include:
  • Student halls,
  • Host families,
  • Hostels, and
  • Residential colleges.

Student Visas to Study in Australia

To further your education in Australia, there are a variety of visa options that you can apply for. The study program that you choose will determine which visa is best suited to your stay.  The following visas apply:

  • Higher Education Sector Visa & Postgraduate Research Sector Visa: These visas are awarded for studying at a tertiary or university level.
  • Non-Award Sector Visa: This visa is available for those who intend to study non-award foundation courses or components of courses that lead to no awards.
  • Independent ELICOS Sector Visa: This visa is for those who will attend an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students.

At Tri-Nations Migration, we have been advising clients on how to study abroad in Australia for many years. If you would like to learn more about your eligibility to study abroad and obtain an Australian student visa, contact us via email or telephone at Tri-Nations Migration today.

Post Contents