Emigrating to Australia: Comparing the 189, 190 and 491 Work Visas

If you’re looking at emigrating to Australia, you might be able to do so under the general skilled migration category. There are three different types of skilled migration pathways for Australia under this category. Let’s explore the different requirements for each and establish how they might assist your residency needs. 

Two of these visas offer permanent residency, while the subclass 491 category usually helps individuals bridge a gap period in which they can attain permanent residency after living there for three years. The same rules, however, apply to all three of these visas:

  • You have to be aged 44 years or younger
  • You need at least 65 points from your skills assessment
  • You have to be competent in English
  • Your occupation has to qualify by being on the skills shortage list

189: Skilled Independent Visa 

This visa will grant you permanent residency in Australia, allowing you and your family to work and study anywhere in Australia. You have to be invited to be able to apply. This visa will also allow you and your family to enrol in the Medicare public healthcare system. You are allowed to apply for Australian citizenship if you meet the eligibility criteria and you are able to sponsor eligible relatives who can also apply for permanent residency.

190: Skilled Nomination Visa 

Should you not qualify for a subclass 189 visa, you could apply for this visa if you have an occupation that might be in demand in designated regional areas, or if you have been nominated by an Australian State or Territory. All of the subclass 189 visa benefits will also apply to you and your family.

491: Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa 

To meet the requirements for this visa, you would have to be nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or an eligible relative living in a specific region has to be your sponsor. On this visa, you will be allowed to stay in Australia for a period of five years while being able to apply for permanent residency after three years if you meet the eligibility requirements. You will be eligible for free healthcare and education (primary and secondary schooling) on this visa. 

If you would like to discuss or explore one of these pathways to emigrate to Australia, get in touch with our team of immigration advisers at Tri-Nations Migration today.

recent posts