A Guide On Immigrating To Australia On A Partner Visa

If you want to immigrate to Australia on a partner visa, then there are a few things you will need to know. Many people mistakenly believe that being in a relationship with someone who lives in Australia automatically grants them permission to move to the country.

While nobody will deny that you are in a relationship, what you need to do is prove to the Department of Immigration that you are either in a committed de facto spousal relationship or a committed married relationship. This can either be same-sex or heterosexual since Australia’s Marriage Act accepts same-sex couples.

There are a variety of options regarding Australian partner visas. The one that you choose will depend on whether you are on-shore or off-shore. The process for off-shore partner visa application can surprisingly be a lot quicker than the process for an on-shore visa, depending on the overseas branch. An application lodged off-shore is known as the Prospective Marriage Visa, subclass 300. The subclass 309 or 100 visa is based on a married or de facto spousal relationship.

Off-shore applications can be done if you are engaged to be married, living together overseas in a de facto relationship, living together overseas in a married relationship, or if you got married overseas and you are living together in two separate countries.  

According to the Department of Home Affairs, the processing times for partner visas are as follows:

  • 75% of applications: 20 months
  • 90% of applications: 26 months

Need help to immigrate to Australia? Then contact Tri-Nations Migration today.

Post Contents